The primary purpose of this wiki is to give immediate help to programmers wanting to know how to perform specific tasks in specific languages. However, a frequently asked question is: "Which language should I use?", and many programmers remain largely ignorant of the vast majority of programming languages, so some brief notes are appropriate.
This article will briefly introduce a number of old and new languages, addressing questions such as:
- what makes this language unique?
- when would it be appropriate to use this language?
- what are similar languages?
- what are current implementations?
Please note that there are many different perspectives on these questions, and this article should maintain an objective and thoughtful tone, acknowledging that there are different opinions, and that they are all entitled to a rational voice.
- C# (pronounced "see sharp")
- Visual Basic